Shopping for tablecloths is always an exciting process. However, blindly purchasing these linens without knowing how to use or maintain them optimally can be a major risk. The dining table cloth you purchase needs to be big enough to cover your entire table. You’ll get options like round tablecloths, rectangular tablecloths, and square tablecloths in terms of shapes.
In terms of patterns, you can opt for polka dots, animal prints, burlaps, etc. The type of table linens you select will be based on your personal preferences and aesthetic tastes. However, there are certain table linen shopping rules that apply to all types of homeowners –
- Make Sure the Cloth’s Size and Shape are Ideal for Your Table: To make sure you use your dining table clothfor decades, its size needs to be perfect. For casual occasions, short-length tablecloths are ideal. For more formal occasions, it’s better to get a longer tablecloth that completely fits your table (including its legs). Inform the tablecloth seller about details such as – the length/width of the tabletop, the height from tabletop to the floor, and the number of chairs it supports.
- Material: The material of your tablecloth will determine its uses. For example, if you want your tablecloth to withstand day-to-day use, getting one made of highly durable polyester materials is probably the best idea. On the other hand, tablecloths meant for casual occasions can be made of more luxurious materials like cotton or silk. Read – Different types of fabrics used for dining table clothto know more about your tablecloth material options.
- Colours and Shades:For formal settings, white or ivory-coloured tablecloths are the most used. On the other hand, if you want your tablecloth to complement your colourful tabletop elements (coasters, cookware, etc.), you should opt for tablecloths with stronger hues with festive displays. Smart shoppers tend to pick tablecloths with neutral colours. That’s because colours like ivory, beige, or dark brown are usable in almost all types of occasions. Hence, such tablecloths can be used effortlessly over long periods.
- Cost:To keep costs down, homeowners must always shop for reusable tablecloths. Dispensable covers are typically not washing machine friendly. So, make sure to avoid tablecloths that aren’t washing machine friendly. Or else your budget plans will be ruined!
Finding the perfectly sized dining table cloth for your home is a relatively simple procedure compared to this next step. The next step (tablecloth maintenance) is a bit more complicated.
How to Make Tablecloths Last Long?
Your tablecloth will serve as the focal point of your dining table. So, it must look crispy clean and brand-new at all times. To achieve this fresh and brand-new look, users must spot-clean their tablecloths and linens whenever they see stains. Apart from eliminating all stains as soon as they appear, users also need to deep-clean their tablecloths at least once a month.
Many homeowners aren’t aware of how tablecloths with beaded or embellished fabrics need to be cleaned. They’re advised to wash them by hand in cold water to avoid washing machine risks.
Tablecloth Maintenance: What Will You Need?
To preserve the strength of your tablecloth’s fibres, you’ll need to use cleaning and maintenance tools like – washers, dryers, irons, laundry detergents, stain removers, fabric softeners, and water. Here are the basic cleaning/washing steps –
- Wash the tablecloths inside your washing machine using detergents and fabric softeners. These detergents remove oily stains. Fabric softeners create protective coatings on the tablecloth’s fibres, making them less prone to future stains.
- Tablecloths, especially the ones made of synthetic fabrics, need to be washed in permanent press cycles. Since these cycles have intrinsic cool-down features, the tablecloths don’t appear wrinkled when they come out of the washing machine.
- While removing the dining table clothfrom the washing machine, release wrinkles by shaking them strongly. Before placing the tablecloth on the ironing board, make sure there are no wrinkles.
- Iron the tablecloth immediately after taking it out of the washer to prevent excessive wrinkles. After ironing, ensure that there are no mineral deposits left by the iron on your tablecloth. For light-coloured tablecloths, iron both sides. For dark-coloured tablecloths, only iron on the wrong side (the side that doesn’t contain prints or colours).
Once completely dried and ironed, make sure to store your dining table cloth in dry, well-ventilated, and cold areas. Always store fresh tablecloths on the top of your storage containers or drawers. By following these steps, homeowners can easily buy tablecloths and maintain them properly so that they can be used for decades!